I know it’s hard to believe, but Directors Notes has now celebrated its first birthday and to commemorate this milestone, I’ve actually decided to write something (something I’ve been promising to do for a while now)!
It seems like only yesterday MarBelle was giving birth to this little baby web venture and having sleepless nights as it had it’s first teething problems and adjusted to it’s new environment. However, now it’s passed the momentous 1yr mark since the site was launched, everything is ticking along nicely, we’ve reached episode 53 and we are constantly looking at ways to help the site grow and improve.
Since Directors Notes started in 2006, we have spoken to numerous film-makers from not only all around the country, but from all around the world. Personally, I’d like to thank all the filmmakers who took time out to talk to MarBelle and allowed us to show all the amazing films, we’ve been lucky enough to have on the site. Hopefully, all you out there who visit/subscribe to Directors Notes have been inspired by at least one of the film-makers we’ve featured. I know throughout the last 53 episodes I’ve been inspired numerous times:
- Jerome Olivier (Missing Pages) made me want to get into ‘Fotomation’ (it looks so cool)
- Lana Schwarcz (The Upper Hand) made me want to hang out in strip clubs with puppets
- Mark Craig (Talk to Me) made me wish I’d kept all my voicemails
- Robin King (Ten Thousand Pictures of You) made me swot up on my Post Production skills
- Robin Shaw (Phenomenal Xmas Irn Bru) made me go and buy a can of Irn Bru (but it didn’t taste good!)
- Guilherme Marcondes (Tyger) made me wish I’d made that
- Pikapika made me learn how to right back to front
To be honest every film and every film-maker we’ve featured inspired me in some way or other and being involved with the whole Directors Notes adventure has really motivated me to develop my creative skills. Hopefully, all you out there enjoy the site as much as we do and please keep coming back, subscribe to the podcast and let us know what you think about we’re doing. Only another 17 years and we can take Directors Notes for its first legal pint!